Through research funding, we are creating a dynamic and vibrant international scholarly community.
We're pleased to announce the launch of two new grant schemes for 2017/18, open to staff from The University of Manchester: collaboration grants and pilot grants.
The application deadline for both awards is 30 June 2017.
Collaboration grants are available to academic and library staff at The University of Manchester who wish to gain insights from other researchers, specialists, disciplines, institutions or sectors to directly benefit academic research into the Special Collections at The University of Manchester.
Grants of up to £3,000 are available to support creative and innovative activities that will lead to new collaborations or the sharing of expertise, as a step towards a larger, externally funded grant bid.
Possible uses of collaborative grants include:
- attendance by University of Manchester researchers working on Special Collections at networking or training events
- good practice exchanges
- placements or ‘discipline hopping’ secondments by University of Manchester researchers at other institutions and organisations
- the organisation of sandpit or workshop events focused on University of Manchester Library Special Collections
- visits from academics of other universities to work collaboratively with University of Manchester researchers on projects based on the Special Collections
- visits from specialists or experts in a particular method, approach or technique to share their knowledge.
Find out more
Pilot grants are available to academic and library staff at The University of Manchester who wish to conduct initial and exploratory research into the Special Collections at The University of Manchester Library in preparation for a larger, externally funded grant bid that would be held at The University of Manchester.
Grants of up to £5,000 are available to cover any activities directly linked to the type of research and grant preparation described above. Possible uses of pilot grants include employing a research assistant and supporting teaching buyouts.
Applications for pilot grants can be made by individuals or groups.